Saturday, July 2, 2011

Things Are Growing Along Nicely

Bloggermint

 It's been a fun but hectic week.  As we speak, it is 1030 at night, and I am typing this post with artificial nails on, which while they make my nails look pretty, they severely hinder my typing speed and ability.  I knew we were going to be out of town, so I took my pictures earlier in the week.  The hotel website said they had WiFi, so I said, "Oh...I can type that up when we are in the hotel."  However, the WiFi that they let you have for free is painfully slow.  I thought I would get the post done last night, but it took forever just to get the pictures loaded up. 

Anyways, on to my lovely seedlings... The Garden Babies lettuce is doing very well now.  At first, things started so slow I wondered if I had messed up the seeds somehow.  Things got growing though, and I transplanted a few to get them spread out a little more.  Now they seem to be growing just like the pictures I've seen.  I have a few that seem like they are getting close to the right size to be harvested. 


 This one is growing really funny from the center.  I have no idea what happened to it.  They are in containers by my steps, where no bunnies would have gotten to them.  But this one looks like something took a chomp out of it. 


 The Summer Splash Marigolds also started out slow, but then came on strong.  I transplanted a few of these to space them out better as well.  I now have about 2 in each container...I hope that isn't too close together. 


 These flowers make for some spectacular close-up pictures.  I have blooms on several of the plants, and most of them are 6-8 inches tall.  This is the first one to bloom though.  I kind of thought from the pictures I got from Renees Garden that these flowers were going to be more yellow.  I didn't realize it would have so much orange.  Is this how other people's blooms look? 


The Italian Cameo Basil is probably the smallest of all the seedlings...but it was the last of the 3 I planted.  However, it is still growing faster than the basil seedlings I planted in the coir.  None of the stuff I planted in coir this year did very well.  I am disappointed in the results of that seed starting material.  I think next year I will go back to the potting mix I used before, even though it was messier.  The basil seedlings here already have 4-6 leaves and are growing fast.  I am glad to know that I will be able to use THIS basil in cooking sometime soon.

This time in a month, I am sure I will be eating basil and lettuce, and enjoying more lovely blooms.  I might experiment with different kinds of fertilizer and see how that turns out.  Until then, tell me how your plants are growing.    Again... I'm growing with the SeedGROW project. Thanks to Renee's Garden for the free seeds.

2 comments:

  1. Lol, I was feeling very inferior reading this as my lettuces are still tiny, as you described yours were for a while, and my marigolds haven't bloomed yet. But my basil is doing really, really well. It's interesting to see the stages everyone's seedlings are at! Happy 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm horribly late for commenting on July's SeedGROW posts, but since tomorrow is the 2nd, I'd figured it would be a good reminder that Augusts posts are coming up. Can't wait for the latest installment of your SeedGROW saga. Your lettuces were looking pretty good.

    :0)

    ReplyDelete

I borrowed this from another blog...

Comments to a blog are like chocolate to a woman...FEED ME!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails