Sunday, June 14, 2009

New Movie: Food Inc.

Bloggermint



I just found this movie trailer when looking for websites about sustainable farming. The site that tells about the movie is:

http://www.foodincmovie.com/

I have to see this movie. I feel more and more that we as consumers have to make changes in the food we buy and the choices we make. Like he says in the trailer, we are voting when we run something past the scanner in the grocery store. We can go one step further and grow things ourselves. When I can grow something myself and eat it, and know that nothing was harmed to create that food for me...that is a wonderful feeling. I know I am not perfect yet, but everytime I switch to a local product over one that is shipped a thousand miles, that makes a difference. When I grow tomatoes and herbs in my backyard, or go to the local farmers market, instead of getting them from Mexico, that makes a difference too. 2 years ago, I made a switch to only eat meat that I knew where it came from, and that it wasn't filled with chemicals or antibiotics, and it had a happy life until it was made into food. This has sometimes been expensive, and sometimes difficult, and sometimes I just eat no meat at all, but it has been a gratifying experience. Occasionally, I will eat something that may have come from a factory farm...but overall, it is local and happy or nothing. I love this quote from Wendall Barry:

"I dislike the thought that some animal has been made miserable in order to feed me. If I am going to eat meat, I want it to be from an animal that has lived a pleasant, uncrowded life outdoors, on bountiful pasture, with good water nearby and trees for shade. And I am getting just as fussy about food plants."

I also love this one from Barbara Kingsolver:

"I find myself fundamentally allied with a vegetarian position in every way except one, however selectively, I eat meat."

We have given all the power over to large corporations, factory farms, and giant seed companies that 99% of them have no concern about how animals are treated, what chemicals are used on our vegetables, or for our welfare at all, as long as they turn a profit. Let's show support for small sustainable farms and local growers by buying their products instead. Spread the word about this movie, so that people can be educated about their food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I borrowed this from another blog...

Comments to a blog are like chocolate to a woman...FEED ME!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails