Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Stuffed Bell Peppers

Bloggermint

I decided to make stuffed peppers for dinner, even though I knew it probably meant a battle with my 7 year old.  He eats a great variety of food, but he really doesn't like the texture of many cooked vegetables.  He will eat raw onions and bell peppers, spinach even, but cook any of those and he turns up his nose.  Still, I keep trying, because most people don't care for raw stuffed bell peppers and cooked veggies are delicious!  I did several colors to try and catch his interest.  I knew he wouldn't like the green ones.  I cut off the tops and removed the membranes, then set them to cook until tender in boiling water.  I love the steamy look. 


This isn't the greatest picture, but this shows the finished filling.  I start my rice first, because I don't do instant rice anymore. The rice cooker takes a while, so it is first on the list.  Then I browned lean ground beef in the skillet.  I mixed in a large can of plain tomato sauce, some oregano and salt to taste, and several large shakes of Wahoo chili seasoning from tastefully simple.  Then I got out a jar of pasta sauce, I used a garlic tomato sauce, and mixed about a third in with the rice and meat. 


I took the cooked peppers out with tongs, and placed them in the baking dish, on top of another third of  the jar of sauce.  I used a spoon to fill each of the peppers with the stuffing.  I sprinkle each pepper with shredded mozzarella cheese and top with the last of the sauce.  The peppers go into the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.  Cool and serve!


This makes fantastic leftovers if you don't eat them all the first night.  As predicted, my son did not care for the pepper taste.  He did like the filling, and ate most of it.  I convinced him to eat some of the pepper because he wouldn't get his dessert if he didn't.  ;)


Digging through my cheese drawer for the appropriate cheese, I just thought it would be fun to share.  I never had a fridge with a cheese drawer before, and you can see that we do like cheese.  I have not had any problem filling this part of my fridge. 

6 comments:

  1. Stuffed peppers look yummo! We have a cheese drawer too! Im glad im not the only one with that many cheeses! We use cheese at least once a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I LOVE cheese! I wish I had a drawer that big to house my obsession!

    Was just asking the hubs the other day...do you know of any place around here that does cheese tasting? Or do I have to drive to Wisconsin?

    Might hafta try those peppers too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous! I want a cheese drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie - I don't know about actual cheese 'tastings', but if you go to Gateway Market in Des Moines, you can ask them to try any cheese you want and they will cut you off a piece. They have a counter just for cheese with a staff person working just on cheese. Pretty awesome if you want to ask questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks girl! I'm gonna hit up Gateway Market and give it a try!
    kk

    ReplyDelete
  6. said...
    glad someone else likes to do stuffed peppers! I skip the boiling step and just cook them longer and at a lower temp. Good to know they can be speeded up by boiling them first. I recently used turkey and stuffed it in zucs (took out the zuc center and cooked it with the turkey) ... added egg white to get it all to stick so stuffing was easier - breadcrumbs and cheese on top. Yours look really good. I didn't pour more sauce over the cheesy tops - great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I borrowed this from another blog...

Comments to a blog are like chocolate to a woman...FEED ME!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails