Thursday, October 7, 2010

It's Creepy How Old This Pumpkin Is...

Bloggermint
The pumpkin from yesterday's post is a YEAR old.  Maybe that is normal and I'm overreacting, but I think it probably should have rotted by now.  I purchased this cute little pumpkin from a grocery store somewhere, I don't remember which store, about a year ago for fall decorating. I understand that under ideal conditions, some hard squashes can last for a very long time, however...

1.  This squash has NOT lived under ideal conditions.  It has been subjected to extreme temperatures (but not frozen and then thawed) and wild temperature swings.

2.  It has been packed and transported during a move.

3.  It sits in my kitchen now and gets subjected to the odors and humidity of cooking and cleaners.

4.  It has occasionally sat in direct sunlight for long periods of time.

And now, a year later, it is not even soft.  Considering how fast some other things rot, this disturbs me a little.  What the heck did they spray it with that it is so well preserved?   I am glad I am not eating that pumpkin.  I keep thinking of the advice of Michael Pollan:  Don't eat anything that is incapable of rotting.  I suppose at SOME POINT, this would eventually rot.  Now I am on a watch to see how long it does last.  Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I borrowed this from another blog...

Comments to a blog are like chocolate to a woman...FEED ME!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails